CSNO’s Statement of Purpose
The purpose of CSNO advocacy is twofold: to promote the practice of the profession of the California Credentialed School Nurse, and to promote safe care at school for the children of California. CSNO advocacy efforts focus on training, providing guidance, and encouraging the individual school nurse to work at a grassroots level for the above purposes.
The CSNO Government Relations Committee (GRC) works closely with our Legislative Advocate to monitor legislation introduced in the California Legislature. The Committee focuses solely on those legislative issues that have the potential to significantly impact the practice of school nursing in California as well as the health and welfare of the students we serve. Bill positions are taken on behalf of CSNO by the GRC and are guided by CSNO’s Board-approved Legislative Platform.
LEGISLATIVE PLATFORM 2014
The purpose of a legislative platform is to support CSNO’s mission statement by establishing the Organization’s legislative agenda for the upcoming legislative session.
This platform is representative of CSNO’s legislative efforts. The platform does not list every issue of concern for the Organization; rather it describes those issues deemed as priorities by the Board of Directors, Governmental Relations Committee and the membership for the current legislative session.
2014 Legislative Priorities
- Advocate for a safe and adequate student to school nurse ratio in all California schools that meets federal guidelines.
- Advocate for legislative funding to support the student to school nurse ratio.
- Expand existing legislation for student loan forgiveness for teachers to include credentialed school nurses.
- Support legislation that requires collecting data about students with chronic health conditions attending California schools.
- Support federal legislation to repeal the Social Security Offset and Windfall Elimination penalties that adversely affect the retirement income of many California school nurses.
- Brochure: 2014_Legislative Platform_(2)
CSNO LEGISLATIVE RESOURCES
STATE LEGISLATIVE RESOURCES
FEDERAL LEGISLATION INFORMATION OF INTEREST FOR CSNO MEMBERS
- NASN’s Legislative Priorities:
- Information about NASN’s Student-to-School Nurse Ratio Improvement Bill:
FEDERAL LEGISLATIVE RESOURCES
ADDITIONAL LEGISLATIVE RESOURCES
- American Nurses Association/California (ANA/C)
- California Nurses Association/National Nurses United (CNA-NNU)
- California Federation of Teachers (CFT) Legislation Center
- California School Health Centers Association (CSHCA) Legislative Advocacy
- California Teachers Association (CTA) Legislation Center
- National Education Association (NEA) Legislative Action Center