Please be aware that several of our members are State Epinephrine Resource School Nurses, who are available to provide trainings and offer support to school nurses. They are:
The following sample forms are linked from the California Department Education website addressing Medication Administration:(click to be taken to the CDE website) Training Standards for the Administration of Epinephrine Auto-Injectors. CEC 49414 authorizes California public schools to train designated school personnel in the administration of life-saving epinephrine to students and adults who are experiencing severe allergic reaction and anaphylaxis.
These forms were reviewed and approved June 2013. Click onece to open the forms there may be a few seconds wait before the forms open.
- Training Standards for Epinephrine Auto-Injectors (link to the CDE Medication Administration website)
- Anaphalaxis Tx Procedures-Revised 2013
- Anaphylaxis STANDING ORDERS-Revised 2013
- Anaphalaxis Tx Annual Notice to parents-Revised 2013
- Anaphylaxis Agreement for Physician-Revised 2013
- American Academy of Pediatrics – Schooled in Asthmalink with forms, educational programs, etc.
- Asthma Friendly Schools Initiative Tool Kit: Access to Medication: http://www.lungusa.org/lung-disease/asthma/in-schools/asthma-friendly-schools/about-afsi/assure-access-to-medications.pdf
- California Department of Health Services — Asthma Home Page
- Indoor Air Quality
- Network Mothers of Asthmatics recently published information in their Allergy and Asthma Today Fall report stating that, increasingly, prescriptions for legitimate nebulizer medications are often swapped out with imitations or pharmacy compounds that are not FDA-approved. To read the report visit https://www.aanma.org/pdf/pu_fakes_frauds.pdf
- There is also a USA Today article on this issue at:http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2005-03-23-cover-compounding_x.htm
- Asthma Action Plan and Authorization document
- Asthma Guidelines
- January, 09 National Asthma Public Policy Agenda
Cancer, Leukemia, Lymphoma
Sudden Cardiac Arrest Association (SCAA) has published “Saving Lives in Schools and Sports” booklet. It is downloadable for free off the SCAA website at www.suddencardiacarrest.org.
The news release on the booklet may be downloaded and printed for your use here
Communicable Disease Control
- Link to “Wash Those Hands”
- MRSA Parent Information Flyer – English
- MRSA Parent Information Flyer – Spanish
- VisualDxHealth, one of the most trusted sources for online health information, has developed a MRSA resource that you can link directly to at http://www.visualdxhealth.com/diseaseGroups/mrsa.htm
- Downloadable MRSA-related handouts with images to assist with early recognition and to help increase awareness of simple prevention guidelines
- A more detailed MRSA overview written by Dr. Loren Miller, MD, MPH, Associate Professor of Medicine, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, and VisualDxHealth’s infectious disease editor
- Oral Health in America
- Information about AB 1433 – to be effective January 1, 2006 – Requires Oral Health Exam for all entering Kindergarten (or First Grade if no Kindergarten) – Click here for more info from CDE
- Frequently Asked Questions regarding AB1433 Emmerson. Click to download and print this document developed by CDA, CSNO, and ACSA.
- 4/2/07 Press Release regarding AB 1433 – Click to download, read, and/or print
- June 2009 press release indicating the data base use for collecting information is now FREE for School Districts to use. Please Click here for information.
- HIPAA Release Forms
- HIPAA electronic submission of claims requirements
- Center for Health and Health Care in SchoolsSeveral articles posted on both HIPAA and FERPA – Enter “HIPAA” or “FERPA” into the search box at the top of the front page for a listing of pertinent articles. Click on the links listed there for articles. Any other topic can be entered in the search box – This is a very large website/resource.
- Office of Civil Rights HIPAA
- Schools and HIPAA15 page draft article on schools and HIPAA from the University of North Carolina, School of Government
Parade magazine article Oct. 7, 2012 on the hidden dangers of the anti-vaccine movement. Here is the link: http://www.parade.com/health/2012/10/07-why-so-many-parents-are-delaying-vaccines.html
- State Public Health Officer Flu Shot Resolution
- C3I Six Simple Messages to promote influenza vaccine
- C#I Six Simple Messages to promote influenza Vaccine – Translated to Spanish
Several FDA articles on compounded medications, and how to report the counterfeit medications, if you have students using them, to the FDA
The National Meningitis Association (NMA) is a nonprofit organization founded by parents whose children have died or live with permanent disabilities as a result of meningococcal disease, a devastating bacterial infection that is more commonly known as meningitis; NMA is committed to educating the public about the disease and has developed a variety of educational programs and resources to help inform local communities about the risks of meningococcal disease among adolescents and young adults and available methods of prevention, including immunization. To access these materials and learn more about meningococcal disease, please visit the NMA Web site at www.nmaus.org
- Click this link to download the recent report from the Department of Health and Human Services – Pandemic Planning Update IV
- School Health Program News
An Interactive School Safety Training Tool
- Health on the Net Foundation
- National School Board Association: School Health Programs
- Health Education Advocate Goes Live
Wellness Policy Development and Resources
- Implementation and Evaluation of Your Local School Wellness Policy – Workshops :November / December 2006 – Click link for registration flyer